The #prosapologian Christian Chat Channel
Interested in meaningful discussion on Biblical topics? Have a question about an apologetic subject and need an answer NOW? Join us in our IRC chat channels. But please note, we now have two channels, and each is for a different purpose. Those channels are #prosapologian and #apologetics, both on our NEW GenevaIRC network. When you connect to one of our IRC servers, just type /join #prosapologian or /join #apologetics, and you’ll be there! (Or, if your system supports it [such as mIRC or chatzilla], you can click the links for either channel.) But which should you join? Here are the guidelines:
If you are a Christian seeking apologetic information, resources, dialogue, answers to biblical questions, and the like, join #prosapologian. While some debate takes place here, it is generally “intramural” debate, i.e., over issues between believers. This is the channel where we have most of our fellowship, biblical discussion, etc. Please note: the channel is most populated in the evenings in the United States. There are times when there may not be anyone in channel to answer your questions. Keep trying. At other times people, including James White, may be there, but will be otherwise occupied. Please be understanding.
If you are looking to engage in debate, or your topic may involve debate, you may want to join #apologetics. This channel is normally quiet unless a specific conversation begins on a specific topic. We will often ask that certain questions which are raised in #prosapologian move over to #apologetics for further discussion. Hence, conversations may all of a sudden start up in that channel as they move over from #prosapologian. See “Basic Rules for Prosapologian and Apologetics” below for more information before connecting.
How can you get on IRC? While there are a number of IRC Clients around that will work, we suggest you use mIRC, the best little IRC client we’ve run across. For the Macintosh, Colloquy is found to be a good client.
BASIC RULES FOR PROSAPOLOGIAN AND APOLOGETICS
Here are a few basic rules, these are non-negotiable:
1) Profanity, of any type, will result in one being removed from either channel, forcibly, if need be. (That’s a smiley face in Internet lingo, but we mean it). Our bots are programmed to kickban for using profanity. Just don’t do it, period.
2) Anyone being disruptive to the topic at hand will be removed. This is far more restrictively viewed in #prosapologian than in #apologetics.
3) Be active in the channel. If your nick is idle and an op pm’s you with no response your nick could be temporarily removed with a warning for ‘parking.’
4) The channel operators have final say in any dispute, period. Do NOT question the ops in channel. If you don’t like something, take it private (i.e., use the /msg command)
5) Prosapologian is a Christian channel. Its purpose is not to provide a preaching platform for non-Christian faiths. If you are a member of a group that is not considered to be biblical in light of the statement of faith of Alpha and Omega Ministries, you may well be asked to move over to #apologetics. The emphasis is #prosapologian is biblical study, apologetics, etc., with the assumed audience to be Christian and orthodox. This does not mean everyone in channel will fit this description. We have regular users who we do not consider orthodox but who have learned to dialogue in a respectful (and at times downright humorous) way. Apologetics is the channel for debate and inter-faith apologetic discussion. These discussions may start in prosapologian, but they should be moved to apologetics as soon as they begin to develop. The ops will help to let people know when the conversation should move.
6) Disputes or complaints should be directed to the Channel Manager via the Contact Us page. But please remember: the operators have final say. If the person has an @ in front of their nick, it’s best not to argue with them.